The views expressed in any article published in this blog are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Joseph Foster or Bob Lupoli.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Individualism & Abby Sunderland - What makes America Great?

Individualism & Abby Sunderland - What makes America Great?

When I was a kid I dreamed, not so seriously that one day I would join the French Foreign Legion and see the world and battle. Not many kids have this dream nowadays (actually probably not many even then). Today the kids think of buying their next video game, buying a computer, a new phone with apps. What’s happened to the great dreamers of the world, the adventurous spirit? Our friend Ishmael in Moby Dick said, “Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bring up the rear of every funeral I meet… then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.

Abby Sunderland a teenage girl from Thousand Oaks, CA set sail to circumnavigate the globe in her 36’ sailboat the Intrepid. Apparently Abby had similar thoughts of the ever present teenage boredom and claustrophobia and so she wanted to go out on the sea after reading of another adventure written in the 70’s about Robin Lee Grahm, titled “The boy who sailed around the world alone”. Abby’s brother actually beat her to her dream and accomplished the feat at age 17. She tried it at 16 and her parents took a great deal of heat for their decision to allow her to go. A tough call! How as parents can we allow our children to do dangerous acts, on the other hand how can we allow them not to?

Abby’s trip was not successful but I admire her guts.

No comments:

Post a Comment